- Parks, Recreation and Forestry
- Boat Launches
The City of Superior maintains four boat launch sites for public use. You do need either a daily or annual pass to use the launches. The sites are as follows:
- Arrowhead – west end of the City off Belknap Street
- North 21st Street – west end of the City off 21st Street.
- Barker's Island – off Hwy. 2 and Marina Drive
- Loon's Foot Landing – off Hwy. 2 on 30th Avenue East
- Pokegama - off Billings Drive in the Superior Municipal Forest
- Wisconsin Point
- Kayak Launch across from Lot 2 on Wisconsin Point Road
- Rustic Launch further down on Wisconsin Point Road
We offer one kayak launch at our primitive Woodstock Bay Landing site (at the end of North 28th Street). This is a non-motorized launch only.
Boat launches open in the spring when the Department determines that conditions are appropriate. The docks are removed late fall and this date is dictated by weather conditions.
We do offer restroom facilities at each launch site and there are fish cleaning stations at Barker's Island & Loon's Foot Landing. Water is turned on at the boat launch facilities, only after the danger of freezing has passed in the spring.
View a map of city boat launch locations.
Kids Don't Float Program
The Kids Don't Float Program loans life jackets to community members at no cost and is available at two boat launch sites in the City: Loon's Foot Landing & Arrowhead Pier. The life jackets will be available in lockers at these two sites during the boating season. Life jackets should be returned to the locker immediately following an outing, so that others that might need them have access as they head out onto the water.
Click HERE for the full history of how this program evolved. The documentation also recognizes the donors that made the program possible.
|Wisconsin Sr. Resident/Veteran/Military||$20|
|Out of State Resident||$30|
|Out of State Sr. Resident/Veteran/Military||$25|
|Replacement (w/receipt--one time only) ||$5|
When launches open, annual hangtags are sold at the following.
- Barker's Island Marina Ship's Store, 250 Marina Drive
- Kwik Trip, 3027 E. 2nd Street
- Parks, Recreation & Forestry office, 1316 N. 14th Street, 2nd floor
- Northwest Outlet, 1814 Belknap Street
Please have identification card available when purchasing annual hangtags.
Daily Permits - NEW this year - day passes can now be purchased at each of these locations. Cash sales will not be available at the boat launches, however we will be offering a digital payment option at the launches soon.
Per ordinance, hang tags and daily permits MUST BE displayed correctly (hang tag on rear view mirror) or vehicle owner will be subject to a fine. More information to come for those that purchase permits digitally.
Law enforcement does patrol the boat launch parking lots, so before you launch your boat and to avoid being ticketed, please make sure your permit is displayed!
- PaddleSafeTwinPorts.org has a list of launch sites, paddle conditions, safety tips, and a float plan all on one handy website if you plan to paddle Lake Superior and the St. Louis River Estuary near Duluth.
- The Watershed Game training videos are excellent resources for local leaders and community members who want to know how land-use affects water quality.